Sunday, October 14, 2012

This and That

I've been struggling with Windows Vista for some time...it came with the computer, and I never really felt that it was all it should be.  Cranky, capricious, difficult to maneuver...yeah...all that.  My lovely tech support division (my son-in-law) took the computer for about a week recently, and magically Vista is gone, and Windows 7 is installed.  And although I'd love to say that my challenges have disappeared, that's not the case.  I still struggle.  The Picasa thing, for instance  I admit I'm technologically challenged, but I simply can't seem to make it work the way I need it to work.  Why is this all so complicated?  Or am I only making it complicated, when it's really simple? 

Enough.  I've had a dry spell.  Artist trading cards ONLY.  Instant gratification...just the ticket for someone so easily befuddled by all things involving technology.






But I did join Jeannie Dukic's Do Over Challenge, which I've been working on for the past couple of days.  Jeannie sent a piece of jewelry she created a long time ago, when she was new to the whole concept of jewelry making, and when her beading style was maybe different than it is now.  Our reveal date is October 20th, and I am really looking forward to it!  We've been asked to use at least 50% of the beads sent by Jeannie, and we're allowed to supplement from our stashes. 

I've made a pact with myself to keep trying new techniques and new styles.  To stop reverting to what's comfortable for me, because I've done it so many times.  It's tempting to almost copy designs from other jewelry designers, if they've had critical acclaim...but it's very important to keep track of my aesthetic.  It's a balancing act, really...keep learning, keep trying new techniques, but stay true to my style without becoming stale and (thank you, Nina Garcia of Project Runway) a "one trick pony". 

So for now, it's back to the bead table to re-work a project from yesterday that just didn't work out the way I wanted it to.  I leave you with the following visual images of life at this woman's home:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!